Southwestern Michigan College is a small college with big opportunities.
With degrees that serve as launch points to study at top universities, a feature-packed Student Activity Center, thriving student life, and some of the nicest residence halls in the state, Southwestern Michigan College offers the full college experience for a fraction of the cost.
SMC was founded in 1964 on the principle of knowledge for all—the idea that everyone should have access to quality education.
Since that time, SMC continues to pursue excellence in academic quality and the student experience, all while providing a personal touch and keeping costs low.
Students from all walks of life have come to SMC to pursue their dreams. We are proud to be the school of choice for valedictorians, athletes, local pageant queens, science prodigies, rising stage talent, and everyone in between—all with the common goal of working towards a brighter future.
Read more about our mission and values below, then browse the rest of our site to learn more about what we offer.
The mission of Southwestern Michigan College is to serve our community by providing affordable, local access to high-quality postsecondary career preparation and college education—including the total college-life experience.
The core values of Southwestern Michigan College describe the beliefs that direct the college in all that it does.
- “Excellence with a personal touch” is a working principle guiding our actions.
- High quality is inherent in all that we do.
- We have a commitment to be responsible managers of college resources: of human resources by promoting growth, satisfaction, and empowerment; of financial resources by operating with a balanced budget and investing in the future; and of physical resources by maintaining a high-quality physical plant.
- We believe in knowledge for all. As the only institution of higher education in the district, Southwestern Michigan College has the dual responsibilities of providing postsecondary career preparation for those who are seeking immediate employment and college coursework and degrees for those seeking baccalaureate degrees.
- We have a commitment to being a learner-centered college, developing students through a total college-life experience, and providing them with 21st-century services.